Thursday, February 16, 2012

52 things.

My memory theater consists of the Resident Halls on campus (Hapner, Hannon, Roskie, South, North, Freshman Apartments, and Langford) more specifically outlining my path between each hall. I have been an RA for two years and, unfortunately, these buildings are ingrained into my memory. I have split up my 52 (I memorized one extra as if to atone for presumed error) words into groups, each inhabiting a resident hall or my journey to and from. I use somewhat obscure areas of these buildings to remember the 52 words, sometimes using only the entrance of the buildings in my memory theater. The different word groups are assigned colors that signify a characteristic specific to the hall. Hapner is Pink (all female), Hannon is Orange (the paneling used in the hallway), Roskie is Yellow (Bob Marley color), South is Green (lobby wall color), North is Blue (clean), Freshman Apartments are Red (brick buildings), and Langford is Purple.  I choose to designate color-groups because I rely inherently on visualization while recalling information.  
52 commonly used words on the LSAT:
As I advance into Hapner I become aggravated (aggregate) because of all the ambiguous posters. There are an ample amount of them hanging on the windows next to the front desk and each in the shape of an apple. This strikes me as an anomaly because no one hangs posters on windows! The posters are dark green and have a picture of T-Rex taking up 3/4th of the frame with a caption below reading “antecedent.” I am so horrified by this I assert (assertion) my opinion to the desk clerk and she replies in a calm voice, “you have been betrayed (betray).”
Furious I storm out of Hapner and walk over to Hannon.
I imagine the outdoor entry into Hannon paved by a half-circle shaped vent (circumvent). While walking across I trip and fall. Laying face down in the entry, I open my eyes to see the grey lines between the rust-colored tiles and concentrate on the small grains of sand that cohere (coherent) together to form the cement. To my surprise the grains of sand start to speak to me and inform me they used to live on the beach but they got in trouble for telling the truth which consequently (consequent) led to their punishment consisting (consistent) of their transformation into concrete. Their punishment was contingent (contingency) on the need for concrete and the correlation between apple-cores acting as counter examples for the Egyptians. The correlation presented seemed very cryptic, but I believed the grains of sand because everyone knows grains of sand don’t lie.
I pick myself up from the floor, dust of my knees and continue on my way to Roskie.
As I approach Roskie I derive the building looks eccentric compared to Hapner and Hannon. I walk into the building and get in the elevator. Above the panel of floor-buttons, some freshman has kindly taken the time to endorse his name followed by a list entailing (entail) his fine attributes. I assumed this young gentleman had written a fake name or a name of his friend, equivocating (equivocate) his own actions. As the elevator doors were closing a young girl slid through the metal doors. Just as she was reaching in front of me to push her floor button she pulled back her hand to cover a sneeze (to eschew her germs all over me).  But rather than wipe her hand on her own pant leg she reached over and wiped her hand all over my shirt. Astounded I thought to myself, “this girl has many flaws (flaw); -- in the foreseeable future I am sure to become sick.”
Disgusted I exited the elevator and the building and made my way over to South.
As I entered the back doors to South I thought to myself, “surely I am guaranteed (guarantee) to have a better experience in South.” Many residents think south is dirty however this is merely a generalization of the building—hearsay, if you will. As an impetus to rid South of its inconsistent reputation, the resident director changed the nickname “dirty south” into “sexy south.”  Even though the residents now call their hall “sexy South”, the culture indigenous to South still remains somewhat “dirty” which is ironic (irony). Because I am interested in jurisprudence (I remember it as a jury dressed like prunes) I understand the liability that comes from residents residing in a “dirty” living environment.
Therefore, I left the building wanting nothing to do with the unsanitary living conditions.
Instead of walking outdoors, I went through Miller Dining Hall to get to North (the words in the next group start with M, N, O).  When I walk into North I see a man in a dress (manifest) playing the piano. The song he is playing doesn’t sound mundane nor special but I feel obliged (oblige) to clap for him.
I suddenly remember I have to pee (all the words from the next group start with the letter “p”) and I hate using public restrooms so I rush out the back doors of North and jog home (to the Freshman Apartments).
As I jog home I run past a pair of Dotson (paradox) dogs floating levitating above the lawn! What a phenomenon! I suddenly fear the placebo my doctor prescribed is actually filled with a hallucinogen deposit (posit). I reach into my pocket and dispose (predispose) all of my pills onto the ground. I then validate the conclusion “all pills are bad” using true premises (premise).  I am nearly to my apartment when I see my principle (principal) from high school sitting on the entry to the veranda. He has a prominent hair line and his belly is disproportionate (proportion) to his lack of height. He is always telling bad jokes and is considered to be an expert at it (pundit).
Wanting to avoid my old principle I cut between two apartment complexes’ and jog over to Langford.
When I reach Langford I overhear two men discussing the “qualifications” (qualify) of the perfect woman. The first man insists a woman must be smart while the second man rebuttals the first, stating “smart women” refute men’s opinions and he would rather have an unintelligent woman who would subsequently agree with his own unwarranted opinions.

As I finish writing I realize I did not use characters as much as I used the words in a story. This will be considerably more difficult to remember. Ugh, I am not very good at mastering Joshua Foer’s version of a memory theater. I had the intention of creating characters, but as I wrote I quickly diverged from his suggestions. Honestly, I know I started studying for this oral exam later than I should have, which in hindsight left less time for me to properly construct a memory theater. I guess we will find out on Friday how well I was able to retain my 52 words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment