Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spencer the Soft Spoken Shaker knocked my socks off...

Spencer the Soft Spoken Shaker's blog (say that ten times fast) jumped out at me.

YOUKNOWWHATI'MSAYING


At first I couldn't decide if he had a formatting error or if he was trying to train my brain to decode. After re-reading the first sentence a few times I began to enjoy interpreting his encryption. Reading his blog gave me a sense of  liberty as I begun to unriddle and translate his words into my own. I felt as if I had the freedom to give his ideas my own meaning. The first paragraph from Spencer the Soft Spoken Shaker's blog made more of an impact on my memory than the whole first chapter from the Walter Ong reading; almost as if the act of working hard to translate Spencer's message reaped greater rewards. Rather than passively allowing my eyes to track word after word, sentence after sentence, I had to mentally dissect every sentence to find the individual fragments and then from there find the individual words. This proved to be rewarding. 

The second paragraph brought greater deception. It was not until the second sentence I noticed the clear mixed up word structure. My brain is trained to read and interpret at optimum speeds such that I was able to comprehend words that were not spelled correctly and moreover words that were mirrored. My auto-correct button seems to work just fine as I am sure many of yours do as well. The fact that I was able to read: 

ATFER RADENIG CAPTEHR SVEEN ONE OF MY BDUDEIS SOWEHD ME AOHETNR GCIIMMK WIHCH OUR BARNIS TNED TO SLEF CROCRET. 

without catching the pattern until the word "gimmick," fascinates me. I have seen other tests like this and it always amazes me the work my brain does without me even knowing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment