Monday, January 16, 2012

First Impressions

College is consumed by the strenuous and sometimes relentless reminder of pending graduation. I often find myself more concerned with credit counts and grade point averages and less concerned with retaining class material and cultivating intellectual growth. The whole process seems tedious; I sign up for classes, do the work, take the tests, write the papers, and leave with a few more credits than I had before. If I am lucky I will remember the general gist of the class and a few highlights. Yet, as I look back, I can’t help but realize how unsustainable this process seems. No graduate dreams of leaving college with nothing but a piece of paper, but rather the knowledge and inspiration to go out into the world make something of him/her self. Unsurprisingly I signed up for LIT 337 because it was a required course, I had no impression of what the class entailed, and honestly I had no expectations. However, as I begin to read Joshua Foer’s personal account, I become more and more fascinated by this idea of “the memory palace.” Our class discussions have been engaging and I am eager to exercise the ability of my brain. My only regret is not taking this class sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment